Sunday, April 19, 2009

Do our unanswered prayers turn into blessings?

Also from www.soulpancake.com...
"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." —Oscar Wilde

List five of your prayers that were never answered. Any of them blessings in disguise?

I've prayed...
1. For one day to be reunited as a family with my siblings and my parents.
2. For Him to pick up my brothers and sister from the mess they've been placed in.
3. To keep Grammy alive.
4. For Him to help me understand Grandpa's habits (several times)
5. For patience.

Reuniting us a family is an absurd idea to begin with, so I see now why this prayer remains unanswered. My parents were just not cut out to raise seven children on their own. He did us a HUGE favor.

This leads me to my next unanswered prayer. It's a little hard for me to turn this one into a blessing. A few things come to mind though. While them living with my uncle is not what I would've planned for their future, one obvious blessing that has come from this is that they are all together and have each other. Child services could have taken them away and placed them into separate foster homes and I may not hear from them as much as I do now. Thank you, Lord for that. Also, a less obvious blessing and much more specific to one of my brothers is that Ernie has found God. He's devoted his life to praising Him and embracing Him through his religion. Without his new friends this may not have been possible. I couldn't be happier about this.

Numero tres: my Grammy was very much a mother to me. Anything my mom couldn't provide for me, Grammy did that and so much more. So naturally, when she was in her later stages of Alzheimer's I was heartbroken watching her rapidly decline right before my eyes. Of course I know now it was selfish of me to want her here while she's suffering. That wasn't Grammy. It was sick Grammy. But she is definitely much happier watching over with me from a better place.

Unanswered prayer numero cuatro: I will never understand my Grandpa. And Lord knows I've tried. And tried. And tried. The blessing I gather from this is that fact alone. It leads me to just accept the fact that he is set in his ways and has been for yeeears. Of course I'm sure senility and old age are factors as well. He's blessed me with default patience. Yes, I said default patience. I develop patience ONLY by default because there's absolutely nothing else I can do, BUT be patient.

Which brings me to my last unanswered prayer: patience. I know I just said He blessed with me patience, but really only sparingly. I don't think I'll ever develop absolute patience. Who does? Who can honestly say they are patient 100% of the time? No one I know. Because that would mean they've developed patience for me. And well, that my friends, is a tough task in itself. So, if you are one of the few oddballs who is patient 100% of the time, I hope you know you're hogging all of the patience, and that just isn't fair. But I digress. I'm not quite sure how this is a blessing. Maybe the lack of patience brings about other good qualities in me. None of which are ringing a bell at the moment. But perhaps when I think of some I'll come back to this and revise.

From these and many other unanswered prayers came beautiful blessings from God that I otherwise might never have asked for. So in a way, God did answer these prayers. He just interpreted them differently and carried them out in His own way. Awesome.

Now, for my few readers out there you try this :) It's a great way to turn around a pessimistic attitude.

2 comments:

Clark said...

When I have some quiet moments... (soon I hope) I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for sharing. I'll let you know how it goes!

Unknown said...

I think it is a wise person who takes time to evaluate her blessings.
We all have unanswered prayers and desires that are never fulfilled.
Sometimes we forget that we are all sinners deserving of death yet in His infinite wisdom and grace God chooses to bless us in the great and small.
I hope I never become so greedy for a blessing that I miss the opportunity for growth in an area I am lacking.